San Diego Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
According to the Department of Transportation, Motorcycle riders are 4 times more likely than other motorists to be seriously injured or killed in a traffic related accident. Even further, per mile driven, they are 16 times more likely to be killed that a driver of an automobile is. Motorcyclists are at an increased risk for serious or even fatal injuries because of the lack of protection when traveling. There is rarely any protection between the rider and the road. Riders enjoy their freedom on the road, but with that freedom comes the exposure of increased danger.
Motorcycle riders, therefore, must be aware of their legal rights and remedies if they are involved in a traffic accident. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident it is important to consult with an attorney. Contact the Liljegren Law Group today to speak to an experienced San Diego personal injury attorney.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Some added risks San Diego motorcyclists face include:
- Motorcyclists are about 26 times more likely to die in a crash than someone riding in a passenger car, and are 5 times as likely to be injured.
- About half of all motorcycles involved in a fatal crash collided with another vehicle.
- A little over one third of motorcycle riders that died in an accident were speeding, approximately twice the rate for drivers of passenger vehicles or light trucks.
- More than 80 percent of all reported motorcycle accidents result in injury or death to the motorcyclist.
- Each year, more than 2,200 people are killed and 55,000 injured in motorcycle accidents.
- In 2011, 35 percent of motorcycle fatalities were a direct result of the rider speeding.
- That same year, 42 percent of motorcycle accident fatalities involved 2 or more vehicles. A large portion of those crashes (38 percent) were a direct result of another vehicle turning left in front of the motorcycle that was either going straight, passing or overtaking another vehicle.
San Diego County Motorcycle Accident Fatalities
Motorcycle accidents result in more injuries than auto accidents. The motorcycle itself provides no head injury protection to the rider or passenger. Only a helmet worn by the rider can help protect the head from injury. In fact, in a study of motorcycle accidents between 1984 and 1995, helmets use saved the lives of 7,400 riders. However, had all riders involved in crashes been wearing helmets, an additional 6,300 fatalities could have been prevented. Ejection often occurs in motorcycle accidents and is a common injury pathway. If a motorcycle comes to a sudden stop and the rider is ejected from the motorcycle, the rider will forcibly strike objects in the path as well as the ground.
California has strict laws in place requiring drivers and passengers on motorcycles to wear a helmet at all times while moving. It’s also illegal for a helmeted passenger to ride along with a driver not wearing a helmet. In the above graph, all deceased riders were wearing helmets; however, helmets also saved many lives in other accidents. Head over to our San Diego car accident page for detailed directions on what to do if you’re involved in or witness a motorcycle-involved crash.
How to Hire a San Diego Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident it is important to hire an attorney who is experienced with motorcycle injury cases. The San Diego motorcycle accident attorneys at the Liljegren Law Group have experience in litigating serious injury cases associated with motorcycle accident cases. Contact one of our attorneys today at 866-613-9906. Our offices are located throughout California and our attorneys have years of success in motorcycle accident cases.
The Liljegren Law Group has been recognized as one of the top motorcycle accident law firms in California. We represent motorcycle victims throughout Southern California. If you are wondering if you need a San Diego motorcycle accident attorney, chances are that you do. Let the Liljegren Law Group offer you legal advice and guidance to make an informed decision. Call us today at 866-613-9906. Our lawyers will help you and your family get the monetary compensation you deserve.