San Diego Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve suffered a serious personal injury due to an accident in San Diego, you’re likely facing a considerable amount of stress and uncertainty. How will you pay for your medical bills? When can you go back to work? Will you ever be able to go back to work? Do I have legal recourse beyond an insurance claim?
The short answer- yes, you do. Our San Diego personal injury attorney, Scott Liljegren, provides award-winning representation and is here to guide you through the lawsuit process and fight for maximum compensation.
Personal injuries can be a life-changing event that significantly changes your outlook for the foreseeable future. It can be devastating on your physical and emotional health – and the outrageous financial burdens associated with it can significantly exacerbate your stress levels.
If your life has been upturned by the negligent actions of another party, you have a legal right to fight for compensation of your damages – including any recovery associated with pain and suffering and other extraneous costs.
We Are Skilled, Compassionate Personal Injury Attorneys
At Liljegren Law Group, we understand and sympathize with those who have suffered personal injuries. The short-term effects may be painful, but the long-term effects can be catastrophic on you and your family. We provide our services to mitigate those financial disasters, and get you back on the right track toward full recovery.
Our team will assist your personal injury, accident, or wrongful death case in San Diego every step of the way. This includes gathering any evidence or data that can help your case, calculating the maximum damages you may recover, and communicating with the insurance companies to negotiate the best compensation you can receive.
For even more specific answers regarding your civil lawsuit questions, please read our personal injury FAQs and schedule your free consultation with Scott Liljegren.
Our results speak for themselves: our clients have recovered millions of dollars in settlements, including a $6.25M recovery for a restaurant accident and a $1.1M judgement for a dog bite incident.
Please reach out to our San Diego personal injury lawyers by filling out our contact form or phone for a free consultation. All inquiries are referred directly to our senior partner, Scott Liljegren, so we can get to know our clients on a case-by-case basis.
Why Do I Need a San Diego Personal Injury Attorney?
A personal injury lawsuit may seem straightforward, especially if you listen to insurance companies looking for a quick settlement. However, consulting a San Diego personal injury lawyer can afford you many advantages:
- Personal injury lawyers have insight into the inner-workings of the litigation process, preventing parties from potentially taking advantage of you.
- Your time is valuable, and personal injury attorneys are aware of that. They take care of the day-to-day legal process, such as filing paperwork and calculating damages, so you can focus your time on recovery and rehabilitation.
- Personal injury lawyers have the resources and knowledge to take care of most of the litigation process for you. There’s no need to file paperwork yourself, or potentially plead your case in a lawsuit. Your attorney will be there to help you out at every turn.
- Insurance companies often offer quick settlements to car accident victims to block litigation. These are usually low-ball offers that are a fraction of what you may recover through proper legal representation. Plus, the team at Liljegren Law Group never accepts retainer agreements and works on contingency fees- meaning there’s no attorney fees if you don’t win.
Liljegren Law Group has all the advantages in a personal injury lawsuit, with experience and knowledge to offer you peace of mind and maximum compensation throughout the legal process.
What is Personal Injury Law?
Personal injury law involves cases in which injuries are typically caused by negligence. Our San Diego law firm specializes in settling claims in a wide range of legal scenarios. We work closely with the plaintiff’s to understand their unique accident scenarios and subsequent injuries.
Type of personal injury cases:
- If a product has a defect that injures you seriously, the manufacturers may be held liable for your damages.
- Medical professionals are legally bound to deliver reasonable, competent care. If their carelessness leads to your injury or illness, we can help.
- California’s no-fault laws can make it difficult for victims to seek compensation beyond an insurance claim, but it is possible. Our experienced San Diego Car Accident Attorneys can help victims of serious accidents navigate this complicated process for maximum recovery.
- Any injuries occurring on someone else’s property may be their legal responsibility. We can help you settle a claim for your injuries – even if you’ve signed a waiver.
- If the dog owner failed to control their pet in a proper manner, they may be held liable, and you may be eligible for substantial compensation.
- Accidents in the workplace can involve multiple negligent parties, and the workers’ compensation system can be a complex process to navigate alone. We can help you file the paperwork, and even pursue a claim for negligence.
Nursing home abuse
- Medical professionals and other officials can be held liable for the mental, emotional, and physical injuries sustained by senior citizens in a nursing home. If you suspected that a loved one is the victim of abuse, contact us immediately. Elder abuse is often an intentional act and individuals responsible should be held accountable.
- If you’ve lost a loved one in an accident, you may be able to fight for a financial settlement. No amount of money can ease the grief, but it can help secure your family a safer financial future.
What Do I Do After Suffering a Personal Injury in San Diego?
Every year, more than 150,000 people in San Diego County go to the emergency room for an unintentional injury – and over 20,000 are hospitalized as a result.
If you are injured as a result of an accident, be sure to do the following:
Get yourself out of immediate danger
- If you were in a car accident, get out of the vehicle and into a safe location.
- This ensures that you have both police and medical professionals on the scene. The police can file a report that accurately details the accident, while paramedics can stabilize any serious injuries on the scene.
- Write down any and all details you can recall of the incident, and take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries immediately following the accident.
Obtain personal information
- This includes names, numbers, addresses, ID numbers, and any other pertinent info from any other involved parties – including witness, if applicable.
Visit a doctor ASAP
- Serious injuries may feel minor due to a surge of adrenaline during the incident.
Call your insurance provider immediately
- In the case of a car accident, you may be required to report any accidents to your provider.
During this time, it’s best to contact the San Diego personal injury attorneys at Liljegren Law Group. We have the experience and compassion to help you through the claims process with minimal stress and peace of mind.
Do I have a Personal Injury Claim?
In most personal injury claims, one major basis for holding one party responsible for the injury is negligence – when someone’s careless, thoughtless actions cause injury to the plaintiff. Legally proving a party’s negligence typically hinges on four components:
- The party owed a legal duty of care to the injured party. For example, doctors are legally inclined to provide their patients with competent medical care, and property owners have a legal duty to ensure their premises are safe from injuries and harm stemming from slip-and-falls, etc.
- The party breached their legal duty by a failure to act, or an unwillingness to act, despite knowing the potential for injury. Essentially, this compares the actions of the party to those of an average person in a similar situation with the same knowledge.
- The party’s negligent actions actually caused the injury.
- You incurred significant damages as a result of the actions (or inactions) of the defendants. This includes physical, emotional, and financial damages.
The Stages of a Personal Injury Case
Most personal injury claims don’t go to trial as defendant’s are often eager to avoid courtrooms. A skilled injury lawyer can use this to your advantage and successfully negotiate a hefty settlement. However, at Liljegren Law Group, if we believe the defendant’s owe you more, we will pursue. While all cases are unique, there is a general course of action.
Pre-Trial and Discovery Phase
- We will conduct a thorough investigation on the plaintiff’s behalf, gathering the necessary evidence and witness and expert testimonies. During pre-trial proceedings, both sides with present their evidence. Settlements are most likely to be reached after said presentation, as both sides can adequately weigh their arguments.
Initial Court Process
- If no settlement is negotiated, attorneys will file “pleadings.” All involved parties- plaintiffs, defendants and third-party claims- will legally lay out their arguments and file formal paperwork. A settlement can still be reached at this point, ending the trial.
- A judge or jury will examine the evidence and decide if, by a “preponderance of the evidence,” the defendant should be held legally liable. And, if so, to what extent (monetary damages).
What Damages Can I Recover From a Personal Injury Claim?
Depending on the severity of the incident, you may be eligible for a sizable amount of compensation. The potential amount of damages recovered may include:
- Medical bills
- Income, such as lost wages and lost earning capacity
- Property loss, such as automobiles
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment due to drastic decrease in quality of life
Add any damage caps that may exist in San Diego County, and calculating damages can quickly get complicated. At Liljegren Law Group, we assist plaintiffs in determining a fair compensation amount, and do everything in our power to get you the maximum percentage possible.
To make our clients even more comfortable, we never ask for a retainer agreement or charge hourly fees. At Liljegren Law Group, our injury lawyers work on contingency fee basis, meaning there’s no attorney fees or paying for the cost of litigation if you don’t win your lawsuit. We hope this allows all injured victims to focus on mentally and physically healing as opposed to worrying about financial payment to medical staff and law offices.
Traumatic Injuries in San Diego County
Source: San Diego Trauma System Reports, most recent published years as of Jan. 2018
A traumatic injury is a physical injury of sudden onset and requires immediate medical attention in order to avoid an amputation or to save a life. Year after year, various traffic collisions are a predominant reason San Diegans end up in our trauma hospitals. However, as shown in the above chart, slip and fall accidents are consistently responsible for the most traumatic injuries.
There is a (slight) bright side for those injured here. The current rate of preventable trauma deaths in San Diego County is less that one percent- a dramatic improvement from 21 percent just 30 years ago. According to the Health & Human Services Agency, a person sustaining a life-threatening injury within the SD County is two times more likely to survive than practically any other part of the United States.
San Diego has six dedicated trauma centers:
- Palomar Medical Center
- Scripps Memorial Hospital – La Jolla
- Scripps Mercy Hospital – Hillcrest
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Rady Children’s Hospital
- UC San Diego Medical Center
Best Hospitals in San Diego
|County Hospitals||Hospital Type||City||State||Zipcode|
|Scripss La Jolla Hospitals||General medical and surgical||La Jolla||CA||92037|
|UC San Diego Health-UC San Diego Medical Center||General medical and surgical||San Diego||CA||92103|
|Sharp Memorial Hospital||General medical and surgical||San Diego||CA||92123|
|Sharp Grossmont Hospital||General medical and surgical||La Mesa||CA||91942|
|Scripps Mercy Hospital||General medical and surgical||San Diego||CA||92103|
Annually released by U.S. News, hospitals are rigorously analyzed to determine the safest places for patients for both general medicine and specialized operations. It’s important people find a doctor they trust before becoming ill or suffering from a personal injury. From there, your doctor can hopefully recommend the best hospital based on your symptoms, side effects and necessary surgeries.
Don’t Settle – Hire a Lawyer for Maximum Compensation
When accidents occur, often people will let the insurance companies dictate their settlements, which will often be considerably lower than desired. If you’ve suffered serious physical and financial damages, it’s ideal to consult the skilled legal team at Liljegren Law Group. Scott Liljegren, a San Diego personal injury lawyer, is available to meet with you and can come to your home or hospital when medically necessary.
We work directly with insurance companies to negotiate the maximum settlements for our clients – and if that number isn’t satisfactory, we are not afraid to file a lawsuit and take your case to trial for the compensation you rightfully deserve. We will take the time to discuss your desired outcome for your legal claim, and work hard to accomplish those and more.