San Diego Wrongful Death Lawyer
If a loved one has died due to the wrongful act or neglect of another, contact a San Diego wrongful death attorney at the Liljegren Law Group today for a free legal consultation. Our personal injury lawyers have years of experience representing families in wrongful death cases San Diego and across California. Unfortunately, time is of the essence in these devastating cases and it is important to contact a legal team as soon as possible.
A wrongful death occurs when a person is killed due to negligence or misconduct of another individual, company or entity. In San Diego, this can be a result of a car accident, burn injury, or any other serious accident.
An action for wrongful death belongs to the decedent’s immediate family members, often called “distributees.” The most common “distributees” are surviving spouses and children.
California Wrongful Death Laws
California’s wrongful death laws permit only individuals with a certain relationship to the victim to file a wrongful death claim. These include:
- The victim’s surviving spouse, children, dependent stepchildren, dependent minors living in the victims household for at least six months, and dependent parents.
- If there are no heirs as described above, then claimants include those who would be entitled to inherit the victim’s estate under the law of intestate succession.
- If none of these relatives exist, the next of kin may file a wrongful death suit.
A wrongful death victims personal representative who was appointed by the probate court can also maintain a wrongful death action.
Compensation in San Diego Wrongful Death Lawsuits
In California, wrongful death claim compensation can include damages for:
- Financial support that the victim would have contributed to the heir during the life expectancy of the heir
- Decedent’s future anticipated earnings
- Lost gifts or benefits of the victim (medical insurance, pension, 401(k), etc.)
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Reasonable value of household services
- Loss of the victim’s love, companionship, comfort, care, assistance, protection, and affection
- Survivor’s pain, suffering, and mental anguish
How and When to Hire a San Diego Wrongful Death Attorney
Preserving evidence and identifying defendants are key factors in California wrongful death cases. Plus, California law mandates a claim must be filed within two years if the descendent’s death- known as the statue of limitations.
Contact the Liljegren Law Group today at 866-613-9906 for a free legal consultation. Our San Diego personal attorneys have years of experience and success in wrongful death cases. If chosen to represent your loved one in a wrongful death case our injury attorneys will investigate all circumstances surrounding the accident and preserve any and all evidence. The Liljegren Law Group will fight aggressively to help you obtain the compensation you are entitled to.